Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mohawk



On the first day of Christmas.....


BPOV

Beep.
Beep.
Beeeeep- err.....
Ugh. There's the sound of another alarm clock breaking. I swear I need to get an iHome and wake up to music rather than that dreadful sound.

I reach over to my nightstand and grab my cell phone pushing the button to clear the screen. 6:05am, time to get up for work.

If you asked me five years ago where I would see myself, I wouldn't have been able to give you a direct answer. In high school, life was pretty simple. But once you cross that stage and get your diploma, life changes. Sometimes its for the good and sometimes its for the worse. But it's time to grow up and make decisions for the rest of your life.

I always thought that I would be a teacher or maybe something to do with law. My father, Charlie, is the present Chief of police in our little town of Forks, Washington. So of course preserving the law is in my blood.

During the first semester of my senior year of high school, I applied to colleges and universities all around the U.S. I didn't want to stick to Washington or the west coast. I wanted to travel to uncharted territory and make some memories. I wanted to have fun. I mean I love my dad, but the small town life is not for me. I hate the small town gossip. So because I'm a city girl at heart living in the country, I would take my car and drive to Seattle on the rare occasions that I had the funds.

No matter how little I was there, I had fun. There was always so much to do and I love that feeling of excitement. With that feeling inside, I'd applied to New York University. Charlie was a bit unsure when I told him where I was applying but he had faith that I would get into the school of my choosing.

Not to brag, but I had a pretty good transcript and application. I love volunteering when I had time, a few part time jobs, and more extracurriculars in school. I also made pretty good grades. Even though I had all that, I'm was still nervous and hoping that I'd get at least one acceptance letter.

Imagine my surprise when ten acceptance letters arrived all together and jammed the mailbox. I was ecstatic and I already knew where I wanted to go. New York. I was tired of only getting to see it in movies. I wanted to experience it in person.

Charlie was excited for me, but the Chief in him wasn't so happy. To release that feeling, he made me take a box filled with pepper spray and stun guns. I gave him a look and he said in his gruff voice, “Bells, you can never be too careful.” I know he was worried so I just accepted the box and promised that I would keep a pair in my purse at all times.

The time to leave came a couple of months later. I decided to take a road trip rather than fly. It's a more scenic view, plus it's totally cheaper to bring things myself. To give Charlie another piece of mind, I let him accompany me. He would drive with me and fly back once I was settled in my dorm.

The road trip had been a great idea and it had given me a chance to get a bit closer to my dad before we separated for a few months. We made a lot of memories along the way and it was something I'll never forget. Once I'd settled in, we'd taken a cab to a coffee place I'd heard about. Joe, The Art of Coffee. It's a small coffee shop where they are serious about the coffee they make and distribute. I thought it was amazing how far the lengths they would go to make the best coffee they can.

After a couple of cups, we'd stepped out and Charlie had hailed a cab planning to drop me off at my dorm and grab his stuff before heading to the airport. He'd hugged me tightly saying he couldn't wait to see me during the holidays. As the cab took off, it finally hit me that for the first time I'm on my own. It was scary but exhilarating.

The four years I was there were the best and helped me discover who I was. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to study. After a few classes that were totally unrelated to each other, I was finally signed up to graduate with a Master's degree in English Education. Once I had that, I didn't know what career choice I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I wasn't happy with the idea of teaching anymore. One day as I was drinking coffee and reading a book from the Best Seller's list; I realized that I wanted to work for a publishing house and help authors get their voices heard.

After a few internships and a couple of promotions, my official job title was Assistant Publicist at the Harper Collins on East 53rd St. in New York. Which leads me to now.

I glanced at my phone again and seeing that memory lane had lasted thirty minutes. Definitely time to get up. As I sat up, the sheets slid down exposing me to the cool December weather.

“Hmm... maybe a few more minutes”, I said bundling under the covers once again.

I reached for the remote and turned on the news getting excited that one of the books that I'd helped get published and campaigned, is being discussed about on Good Morning America. The author, Sarah Graham, should be on in an hour. which means that I'm running late.

I ran to the bathroom and took an extremely fast shower and I was dressed, fed, and out the door in fifteen minutes.

I hailed a cab and told him to take me to 44th and Broadway. On the way, I called my best friend, Alice, who works with me.

“Bella! Where are you?! Sarah is going to be on soon!”, She screeched into the phone.

“I'm on my way. I'm about twenty minutes away. Hey, did you check the questions that are going to be asked?” The one thing I hate about live TV is that the interviewer can sneak in questions that were not approved.

“Yep. Everything is good on that front.”

“Thanks, you're the best Alice.”

“I know,” she answered in a smug voice. I sighed, but agreed with her. She'd save me before from going into total meltdown over deadlines it looked like I'd never make.


“Yes, Alice, you are the best,” I said in a serious voice, and she laughed. “Okay, I'm about ten minutes away see you soon.” We said our goodbyes and hung up.

I looked out the window and taking in the view. So many people already out and about. Makes me wonder where they're going and how their day will be. Even though New York was a crowded place, I've never regretted my decision to come and stay here.

Finally I can see Times Square. I paid the cab driver and head into the studio. I walk up to the front desk and told the receptionist where I had to be. She gave me a pass telling me where to go. I followed the directions. As I turned the corner, I saw Alice talking to a blond guy.

He looked pretty cute ,but so not my type. If I guessed right, he could be around six feet. He was wearing a nice fitting dark blue sweater and black pants. So far I can see that he meets all the requirements that Alice has made for herself. If the guy didn't dress well she wouldn't give him the time of day and would move onto the next candidate.

I cleared my throat to catch Alice's attention. She kept talking, but I caught his. He blushed and excused himself. She gave him a flirty smile, promised to call him later, and then gave me a glare.

“What?”

“About time you showed up! Sarah goes on in ten minutes. You have to sign some papers before she goes on”, She said as she started walking to what I assume is Sarah's room.

As we walked, she passed me the clipboard she was holding. I skimmed and signed the papers by the time we entered the room.

Sarah was getting her makeup done. Once she saw me, her eyes lit up and called me over.

“Bella! I'm so glad you're here. I just wanted to thank you for all the work you've done. I don't know what I would've done without you”, She said smiling. I blushed. I never was good with compliments.

“Oh it's just my job. Anyone could've helped you like I did.” It's the truth. Some people in the office fight over getting the good manuscripts. I was lucky that hers was on my desk when I showed up.

“Well, you're right but still. You just have this thing about you. I can't explain it, but it just makes me trust you more than I would've trusted anyone else.” I nodded and smiled, too choked up with emotion to answer. A couple minutes later an assistant told her it was time.

Alice and I followed them to the set. It was already decorated for the winter season. There were five trees of different sizes spread all around decorated in lights that were subtle for taping. There were reds, golds, and greens all over. It made me excited for the holiday season.

I didn't get to fly home for Thanksgiving so I was hoping I could for Christmas. I really miss Charlie, emails and phone calls weekly aren't enough.

The show went perfect and Sarah answered the questions strongly. I taught her well. Next on her schedule was a book signing at a Barnes & Noble. Alice had it covered so they didn't need me. I told Alice that I was going home to work. She rolled her eyes and reminded me that Rosalie and Emmett invited us to go to a bar that just opened. She also quickly mentioned that she'd invited Jasper; the blond guy she just met earlier.

I was just about to respond, when she closes the cab door and it takes off. Gah! I could kill Alice. I hate being the fifth wheel. It always gets awkward and I have to make an excuse to leave. I don't blame them for finding love, I just envy them. During college, I was on a dry spell with dating. No guy seemed to catch my eye. Sure there were dates that either I or Alice forced myself to go on but they never went past leaving the restaurant. If I don't find anyone soon; I'm making a dating profile. Can you say desperate?

Not that I have anything against people who use them; I just wanted to meet a guy the normal way.

I was jarred out of my thinking when we stopped. I was about to get out when I noticed that we were not at my apartment yet. I looked out and saw the traffic jam. I sat back. It's not like I was in a hurry or anything.

As I gazed outside; I saw something red pass by. Curious, I tried to find it again.

Imagine my surprise when I saw men carrying Santa suits and turning down an alley.

I paid the driver, got out, and tried to follow the wannabe Santa's. As I caught up and turned the corner I saw a guy with a black Mohawk dressed in a black shirt and dark jeans carrying a costume.

Huh.

I'd never imagined that Santa could be a head banger.

I followed him about ten feet away. I didn't want to get caught or lose sight of him. Just as I was going to give up after walking in an alley for ten minutes, he turns to a door and knocks.

I crouch behind a dumpster and peek to the side.

I see a small opening, just enough space for eyes to peek through.

“Password?”, the mystery person says.

Mohawk answers, “He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake.”

That has to be the most disturbing password I've ever heard. Well that is a creepy song lyric so I guess it's fitting to be a password to a door in an alley.

I hear the opening being shut and the door being unlocked and then Mohawk walking through.

I stood up. Well there goes my adventure, then again what did I expect? Actually I didn't have any expectations. But, I still wonder why a Santa needed a password to get in.

I guess I'll never know. I turned around to head back, when I collided with someone. I gasped in shock and took a couple steps back.

“Sorry! I thought you heard me. Are you here for the Mrs. Claus?”, She asked. I couldn't comprehend her question when I was staring at her outfit. Rather than carrying her costume; she was dressed in a red dress with white fluffing at the ends. I can't imagine her age with her wearing the small eye glasses and silver wig.

I shook my head.

“I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch what you said.”

“I said are you here for the Mrs. Claus rehearsals?” She asked while looking at me strangely. Yeah, I'm the weird one in this conversation. Cue sarcasm.

Rehearsals? Why would they need rehearsals? It's not hard to pretend to be Santa and Mrs. Claus.

“Huh? Oh! Yes I am here for the rehearsal. I was running late and I couldn't find my costume.” What?! What am I doing? Was I actually going into something I know nothing about? Apparently I am. Besides, I'm too curious for my own good.

“Oh it's not a problem. When we get inside just go to the closet and sign out a dress saying that you forgot yours and you'll return this one.” I nodded. “C'mon be better hurry before they start without us.”

She grabbed my hand and pulled me along with her to the door. Maybe I should have told someone where I am in case I'm murdered by Santa. But it's too late when she knocks on the door.

The slot slides open and I can see the eyes. The slot is a bit lower than what I'd imagined before.

“Password?” The mystery person asks.

I panic because I don't know if it's the same password as it was for Mohawk.

Luckily, Mrs. Claus here answers.

“All I want for Christmas is you,” she sings and finishes with a smile and wink towards the guy behind the door.

The slot closes; it's not long before the door is unlocked and we walk in. I held in my gasp of surprise.

It was like the North Pole threw up in here. There were tons of Santa's, Mrs. Claus, and elves chatting away. The room was decorated like a winter wonderland. Decorated trees, mistletoe hanging in doorways, lights strung around the room, and a fake snow machine hidden somewhere around.

I wiped the snow fuzz out of my face. What in the world is going on here?

Mrs. Claus dragged me to the closet and explained to the person what was going on. She nodded and gave me papers to sign as she went to find a dress in my size. They were basic papers and all I had to put down was my name and number to contact me. On the bottom it stated that if I didn't return it, they'll send the elves after me.

Yeah I'm definitely returning the dress. I adopted a fear of little mythological people; when I was a kid, after walking into the living room once while Charlie was watching a scary movie. Like leprechauns... They still creep me out.


Mrs. Claus showed me to the dressing room and handed me my full costume.

I went into the dressing room and took off my clothes and put on the wig and dress. When I finished; I looked into the mirror. I looked ridiculous. You can't really tell its me, but at least I look like a young Mrs. Claus.

I stepped out and was led to a room with larger lockers so I could put my stuff in. So glad I don't have to worry about sneaky mythological people stealing my stuff.

I noticed that when we walked to where the others were; they were in some sort of formation in front of a small stage.

As soon as we were in the center, Mrs. Claus abandoned me and went to very front.

I sighed. Now I was beginning to worry again. I had no idea what we're going to be doing or if it's even legal. Great... Just my luck, I find something that may led me being locked in a jail cell.

I was knocked out of my thoughts when a throat cleared and my eyes locked into a pair of dark green emeralds. Wow. I have never seen that color green before. It was mesmerizing.

When I felt drool pooling to drop out of my mouth; I coughed and stood up straighter.

Mr. Green eyes chuckled a bit.

“Hi, I'm Edward Claus. What's your name?”, He asked while holding a hand out. Oh my gawd. I could swoon from that voice.

“Oh! Umm.. My name is Bella Claus.” He smiled. It was then that I realized that he was not wearing the white beard. Edward looked just around my age. What a great smile.

“Hello Bella. Are you new? I don't think I've seen you around before.” I nodded yes. “Alright, I'll help you out during rehearsal.”

“What are we going to be rehearsing?” I asked. It couldn't be that hard to say a few lines and act the part. I still don't see the reason for rehearsing.

“It's for the Macy's Christmas Day Parade. All the Santas, Mrs. Claus, and elves will be doing a dance similar to the one Oprah had on her show.” He started to give more details when I blanked out and started panicking once again.

I saw that video on YouTube. It was crazy and amazingly choreographed. I can not do that during a live taping that millions of people will be watching. It'll be like a domino effect once I trip and knock someone over.

I glanced back at him.

“Edward, I can't dance. I trip over thin air. I'll ruin the whole thing! I thought it was something totally different. I have to leave.” I started to leave when I felt his hand on my arm.

“Bella. It's okay to be nervous. The routine is not complicated. It only lasts a couple of minutes. You'll be fine and I'll be there to catch you if you fall.”

I looked up at him suspiciously.

“Promise?” I asked. If he didn't I'll leave and not look back.

He didn't answer. Instead he grabbed my hand and twisted our pinkies together.

“I pinky promise.”

At that moment, I knew that I could trust him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Later that night I was still in shock that I'm actually going to go through with this.

Edward was right. The routine was simple; yet it looked complicated with everyone participating. We exchanged numbers afterward. I looked forward to meeting him again.

Just as I was going to make dinner my cell phone rang. It was Alice.

“So how was your day at home? Catch up on all those papers that were on your desk?” She asked. “And don't forget you have to be at the club in two and a half hours.”

“Alice, you wouldn't believe the day I had.”

She surely wouldn't, but it'll certainly be one I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment